4 July 2014

Leadership Quotes - Leadership

Be willing to make decisions. That's the most important quality in a leader. Don't fall victim to what I call the 'ready-aim-aim-aim-aim syndrome.' You must be willing to fire.
- Gen. George S. Patton - on Leadership

I learned the hard way a few years ago, when I was dropped in the deep end as the leader of an important project in a large organisation, that a leader has to be willing to make a call, stick their neck out and stand by their decision. I also learned that you should be willing to change your mind as soon as compelling evidence to the contrary is put before you. One thing I do know is that making clear decisions and explaining why has been a very powerful tool in helping me gain respect from the teams I have led, and has kept projects on the rails.

Gather the evidence, encourage opinion from the team, churn it all together and pick a direction. Change direction only when the evidence to do so is clear.