22 March 2015

Product Review - Todoist




Staying on top of things is crucial for me as a busy Agile Coach. I have responsibilities for several teams covering lots of different products and can have 5 or 6 threads active at any time. On top of that I still have a desire to maintain a life outside work.

Over the years I've tried various tools and methods to try and stay in tune and avoid dropping the ball, sometimes successfully and others not so much. Over the years there have been lots of different tools and services come and go and there appears to be a trend in monetising the to-do list which is frustrating when the app has nothing but listing and sorting options on offer.

I was a major fan of Any.do until late last year when they started to charge for some of the features I used and with what seemed like a pretty high price for me. After that I resumed my hunt and landed on Todoist.

Todoist is pretty much a to-do list manager like any other but differentiated by a very rich feature set backed up by a robust cloud infrastructure and a suite of apps to cover every platform you might possibly want (except Pebble). As with all organisers these days there is a free and paid option available with the paid option giving you reminders with alarms, location reminders, automatic back-ups, more colours for tasks, calendar sync, project templates and a handy productivity tracker they call Karma which awards points for completing tasks and using features within the app and deducts them if you miss your deadlines. If stats are your thing you'll find it interesting, it is definitely an interesting motivator.


Simple and clean interface


Karma for stats junkies


The thing that sold this to me was that buying the Premium option is only £18 ($29) for the year which is a bit more affordable than any.do for example which is $45 per year (currently $26.99 as a launch offer). If you don't need the premium features then stick to the free version which is pretty good by itself, though you will see items in the app marked as Premium only which can frustrate, and you'll be without reminders which can be a big loss if you need to stay on top of things.

The other thing that tipped me over the edge in favour of  Todoist beyond the affordability was the sheer amount of coverage they have. This app is available everywhere, I swear there's a washing machine out there with this on it... OK maybe not that but they have an app for every platform so you'll never have a problem staying on top of things. I particularly like the Outlook plugin which allows me to set a task from an email, as you can by default in Outlook but then I can get to that task anywhere and not just through Outlook. The drawback with this feature though is that while the email is used to create the task you will need to be in Outlook to view the email, making it more of a link to the email rather than an attachment but it still works out for me in practice. There are also a huge number of integrations with common tools and apps like the popular IFTTT which can set up triggers to add tasks automatically when you add stuff to Pocket or YouTube watch later for example. There are way more options than I have space or time to describe so you'll be wanting to hop over to their site to check out if there's a combination that will work for you

There are plenty of options in the app for sorting, tagging and filtering, you can set up your own projects and manage them quickly and easily and if you have things you'll work on with others you can share projects too. Sharing does not require everyone to be on the paid tier either which is nice. Adding tasks is also relatively fuss free allowing you to type things like 'call Bob on Tuesday at 5' and you'll get a call Bob task with a reminder set to Tuesday at 5 (if you have unlocked reminders).

Using Todoist over the past 5 months as my daily task manager has really been great, I have definitely found it to be the premier option for me and find myself tracking a lot more stuff than I used to simply because it is so much easier to add items. My productivity may have increased slightly because I don't forget or delay as many items as I have in the past but I also have a clearer picture of what I am doing through a day because I am capturing more. I even sit down with a coffee and add several quick items I may have done since last getting in front of the screen like 'chat with Bob and Mary about thing x' just because I can and the picture I build up about my day is quite interesting.

So, if you are on the market for a decent task list manager with options I would recommend you pop on over to todoist.com and give them a whirl.